Life After Divorce: 5 Ways to Recover After Divorce

Life After Divorce: 5 Ways to Recover After Divorce

There are many challenges and difficulties during a divorce. When someone separates from a relationship or gets divorced, it can be hard to recover after divorce. There could be rejection, anger, hurt, or hopelessness. It is possible, however, to manage these difficult feelings.

Divorce brings with it many emotional, physical, and financial complications. Separated parents have a difficult time co-parenting. As well as offering them the love, understanding, and attention they need to deal with their own pain. The feeling of not knowing what to do can be frightening, overpowering, and seemingly endless.

It may take time for you to heal, and you might experience discomfort for a while. Losses come in multiple stages and sometimes require adjustment. Embrace the journey and stay active. Be mindful of how you feel and recognize which stage you are going through.

Here are 5 Ways to Recover After Divorce:

1) Keep in touch with those you care about.

Connect with people you enjoy and plan activities you can do together. Our need for compassion can cause feelings of loneliness, which in turn increases our chances of becoming involved in unhealthy relationships. Spend as much time as possible getting in touch with supportive friends and family members.

Having friends who listen intently and provide you with emotional support can make all the difference. Quality rather than quantity determines the nature of a helpful social circle.

2) Avoid dwelling on the past.

The past tends to impede the process of healing after a divorce Many blame their ex-partner for everything that went wrong.

Reminiscing about the past keeps you in the past. Observing your rearview mirror won’t help you drive forward, and focusing on the past won’t help you live a fulfilling life. What has already happened can’t be changed. It is best to utilize what has already happened to make the most of the future.

3) Embrace the lessons you learned from it

No matter how successful your marriage might be, you’re bound to have made mistakes and wish you had done things differently.
It’s a great time to learn from those experiences, too. Regret is a natural result of those thoughts.

Put yourself back in the position you were in before the relationship. How did you envision the future? Have you ever wanted to go somewhere or try something new?

Now you have an excellent opportunity to take a writing workshop, an art class, or take part in other hobbies that interest you.

4) Spend some time in nature

Many studies have shown that being immersed in nature has extreme health benefits.

It is possible to feel anxious, sad, or helpless when you are in an unpleasant environment. You experience an elevated heart rate, blood pressure, and muscle tension, as well as weakened immunity. Therefore, a positive environments help reverse those effects.

In both body and mind, nature has been proven to have incredible healing benefits. Among other things, green spaces enable people to relax, calm down, and lower their heart rates. Furthermore, the difference between walking on a busy city street and walking in a park can probably be felt by comparing your experience of walking on both.

Being in nature can be profoundly healing after a separation or divorce because it reconnects one with oneself and the greater universe naturally. The presence of nature can help ease the feelings of abandonment that can come with separation or divorce.

5) Make the most of what you have to offer

When you go through a divorce, your confidence is undermined.

However, you still possess incredible qualities that you can and should be extremely proud of. Build your self-confidence by discovering the things you really enjoy about yourself, and reminding yourself of those things every day.

Embrace your newfound singledom by finding ways to enjoy it. It can be helpful to spend some time by yourself to think, reflect, and reorganize your priorities.

Taking a second look at your options might make sense at this point. Moreover, think of it as an opportunity to start over from scratch and find out all the opportunities that await you.


Final Thoughts

Most importantly, you have to give yourself time to heal and recover after divorce. It takes time to lessen the sting, and with time, the flood of memories and regrets will happen less and less often.





At Hussain Law, we focus on helping our clients navigate the emotional and financial challenges of separation and divorce. Our office remains fully operational, and we have implemented various new procedures that allow us to continue to advise clients seamlessly during this time. If you have a family law issue that you need assistance with, please contact Ayesha Hussain at 647-428-3919.

4 Things to Remember About Divorce

4 Things to Remember About Divorce

Divorce is a confusing and complicated process that can last longer than expected at times. While one requirement for filing for divorce is to be separated for one year from your spouse, there are numerous other things you will need to do in order to prepare for divorce and make sure you are protected. You will have to make difficult decisions in a short span of time. As such, here are some things you need to know or do to make this process easier and a lot less stressful.

Collect Various Important Documents

It’s imperative to locate your personal documents. A complete collection can help you and your lawyer navigate procedures to you and your ex-partner’s assets. You’ll want to save information that relates to your finances, like your bank accounts, credit card statements, financial statements, and more. In addition to mortgage and loan statements.

Limit Opinions From Family

You should try to keep your divorce between you and your partner. The only other people who should have a say are your lawyers or mediator. It may feel like you need to head to your family for advice or reassurance, but their advice will probably be biased. It’s easy for this process to take a harmful route if your parents or siblings make negative comments about your ex. 

Take Care of your Mental Health

It’s normal to feel sad, angry, exhausted, frustrated and confused. You also may feel anxious about the future. Even if the marriage was unhealthy, venturing into the unknown is frightening. It’s easy to forget about your mental health throughout this process, primarily when you have kids. Give yourself permission to feel and to function at a less than optimal level for a period of time. You may not be able to be quite as productive on the job or care for others in exactly the way you’re accustom to for a little while. No one is superman or superwoman; take time to heal, regroup and re-energize. You deserve to lead a happy life, whether your actions caused the divorce or not. You have to take time to rest and recharge as you navigate these difficult moments.

Prepare for Life Changes

Hiring a lawyer or a mediator is important. Before you retain a lawyer make sure you do your homework. Out of desperation do not settle for the first lawyer you come across. Find an experienced lawyer, preferably one who focuses on family law and has experience in divorce and child custody issues. The advantages of choosing a mediator are that there can be less conflict in the process and you may save on legal fees. An effective way to choose your representation is to have a consultation. A divorce can help you build a better life. It’s essential to prepare for this new reality.

Divorces aren’t so easy to make.

There are lots of procedures to be followed with mutual understanding. You should be prepared well prior to why you need to get separated. Children are mostly affected by parents getting separated. Prepare your children and take care of yourself.







Child Support Payments under COVID-19

Child Support Payments under COVID-19

The COVID-19 pandemic is seemly turning everyone’s life upside down. Some people are losing their jobs, some are working fewer hours and non-essential are being made to close. The one thing that is not changing is the need for child support payments. While the government has made announcements about evictions and a deferral of taxes, nothing so far has been said about child support.

If there is a court order to make child support payments, unless and until you have changes made to the, you must follow the terms of your order. COVID-19 does not automatically excuse or justify a deferral or refusal to pay child support.

So what should a parent do if they are suffering financially as a result of COVID-19 and has an ongoing child support obligation? Here are some tips.

Contact the recipient and give them a heads-up immediately! In the current times, communication is key. Even if you do not communicate with the opposing party on a regular basis, let them know you are facing a difficult time and cannot full payment. By not saying anything you could be surprising the recipient which can cause far more harm and distress. Less notice means less time to organize a safety net and make other arrangements. Having the difficult conversation early could help resolve potential issues later on.

If you cannot make your support payments, there is a difference between making no payment versus paying a portion of what is due. Try to make some payments towards child support. Making a portion of the payment shows you are being reasonable and understand your obligation. Work out a payment schedule with the recipient first and then advise the Family Responsibility Office that you are unable to pay the full amount on a temporary basis.

Document your communication with the recipient to show your effort. If you do reach a temporary arrangement, make sure you confirm it in writing.

Keep a careful track of your budget during COVID-19 showing your income, expenses, and who you have to pay. If you have savings, you should attempt to make the full child support payment. Remember children you support are dependent on your money, so their needs will be deemed high-priority.

Keep the lines of communication open. The situation we are in is changing rapidly. Don’t send one text and sit back. If you are able to make a payment next month, let the recipient know as soon as possible.

My focus on family law helps my clients navigate the emotional and financial challenges a family law matter can present. Hussain Law remains fully operational and has various new technologies that allow me to continue to advise clients seamlessly during this time. If you have a family law issue that you need assistance with, please contact Ayesha Hussain at 647-428-3919 .

Stay well!


If I Have Custody Of My Child, What Happens If I Move?

If I Have Custody Of My Child, What Happens If I Move?

The issue of mobility rights involves the question of a parent’s right to be able to move from his or her current jurisdiction with the children to another jurisdiction. Most often times these cases arise when a parent who has the primary residence and custody of the child, wants to move to a different city. Many parents in this situation wonder, “if I have custody of my child, what happens if I move?”.

There are many reasons why parents consider leaving their current jurisdiction: a new job, a new partner, or the desire to move closer to where their family and support system are. Whatever the motivation may be, the Court will focus on the best interests of the children in considering whether or not to permit the relocation. The Court will consider various factors in making the determination of what is in the children’s “best interests”, including the relevant circumstances of the child, the existing residency and custody arrangement, the desirability of maximizing contact between the children and both parents, the views of the child (if they are of sufficient age), the custodial parent’s reason for moving, and the disruption the move may have on the children.

In most cases, under the Family Law Act, the parent wishing to relocate is required to give 60 days’ notice to anyone else who is a guardian or has contact with the child. The other guardian who may wish to oppose the relocation will have 30 days from delivery of that notice to file an objection to the move taking place.

Family Law Act

Generally, the test to consider for relocation is set out in the Family Law Act and includes considerations such as:

1) Whether the proposed relocation is made in good faith;

2) Whether the proposed relocation is likely to enhance the general quality of life of the child and, if applicable, the relocating guardian;

3) If the relocating guardian has proposed reasonable and workable arrangements to preserve the relationship between the child and the child’s other guardians or persons who are entitled to have contact with the child.

At the time of separation, most parents will usually continue to reside in the same city, often within the same community. When they negotiate the terms of their Separation Agreement, they most often address the issue of mobility, by setting out a requirement that either parent is to give the other parent a certain number of days’ notice (for example, 60 or 90 days’ notice), in the event of a proposed change to the children’s permanent residence. This notification requirement is included within the Agreement in order to enable the parents to try to negotiate a new parenting arrangement, in the face of the proposed move.

It also gives the non-primary residential parent sufficient time to bring a court application to attempt to prevent the move, if a new parenting arrangement cannot be agreed upon. I have seen some Separation Agreements where parents have agreed that there will be no movement without the consent of both parties. Such restrictive clauses, however, are unenforceable. The courts will not bind a parent to such a clause, in the event that it is determined, following the signing of the Separation Agreement, that it is no longer the children’s best interests to remain in their current location.

Given that the Court has wide discretion in determining what is in the children’s best interests, mobility cases are often unpredictable and there is no guarantee of success. The parent proposing the relocation should ensure that they have a plan to maintain as much contact as possible with the parent remaining in the current jurisdiction, this includes telephone, Facetime and Skype access, greater periods of time over the holidays and what access will look like if the access parent comes to the new jurisdiction. It is important to have a plan before the court that addresses the proposed access if the children are permitted to move that provides as much detail as possible for consideration such as who will be responsible for the transport of the children.

It is the difficult task of the court to weigh these factors along with a consideration of what is in the best interests of the child, in order to arrive at a decision that will result in the least disruption to the child and their relationship with each parent. Parental mobility rights, which specifically address a parent’s right to relocate or move with a child, can present numerous complexities best addressed by an experienced lawyer. If you are looking to relocate or are an access parent and want to dispute a proposed move by the custodial parent, contact me today at 647-428-3919.

What Is Parental Alienation?

What Is Parental Alienation?

Hussain Law

In extreme high conflict custody cases, a dynamic develops whereby one of the parents sets out to sever the children’s ties to the other parent. This is referred to as “parental alienation”. Five types of parental behaviour are hallmarks of parental alienation syndrome:

  1. Rejecting: The favoured parent rejects the child’s need for a relationship with both parents. The child fears abandonment and rejection by the favoured parent if he or she expresses positive feelings about the rejected parent;
  2. Terrorizing: The favoured parent bullies the child into being terrified of the rejected parent, and punishes the child if he or she expresses positive feelings about the rejected parent;
  3. Ignoring: The favoured parent withholds love and attention if the child expresses positive feelings about the rejected parent;
  4. Isolating: The favoured parent prevents the child from participating in normal social activities with the rejected parent and that parent’s friends and family;
  5. Corrupting: The favoured parent encourages the child to lie and be aggressive toward the rejected parent. In very serious cases, the favoured parent recruits the child to assist in tricks and manipulative behaviour intended to harm the rejected parent.

The Children’s Law Reform Act reinforces the idea that maximum contact with both parents is generally in the best interests of children, and that parents have an obligation not only to allow access, but to facilitate that access. If you fear that you are a victim of parental alienation contact me today at 647-428-3919 to learn your options.