Contact Us Today 647-428-3919
Signs Of Domestic Abuse

Signs Of Domestic Abuse

When people think of domestic abuse, they often focus on domestic violence. But domestic abuse occurs whenever one person in an intimate relationship or marriage tries to dominate and control the other person. Domestic violence and abuse are used for the purpose to gain and maintain total control over their victim. An abuser doesn’t “play fair.” Abusers use fear, guilt, shame, and intimidation to wear their victim down and keep them dependant on them.

Domestic violence and abuse does not discriminate. Abuse happens among heterosexual couples and in same-sex partnerships. It occurs within all age ranges, ethnic backgrounds, and economic levels. Women are not only victimized; men and children are also abused. The bottom line is that abusive behavior is never acceptable, whether it’s coming from a man, a woman, a teenager, or an older adult. Every person deserves to feel valued, respected, and safe.

Despite what many people believe, domestic violence and abuse is not due to the abuser’s loss of control over their behavior. In fact, abusive behavior and violence is a deliberate choice made by the abuser to control their victim. Abusers use a variety of tactics to manipulate and exert their power, including:

Dominance – Abusive individuals need to feel in charge of the relationship. They will make decisions for their victim and the family, dictate what to do, and expect obedience. Abuser may treat their victim like a servant or as their possession.

Humiliation – An abuser will do everything they can to make their victim feel bad about themselves or defective in some way. After all, if one believe they are worthless and that no one else will want them, they it is less likely they will leave. Insults, name-calling, shaming, and public put-downs are all weapons of abuse designed to erode self-esteem and make the victim feel powerless.

Isolation – In order to increase the victim’s dependence on them, an abusive partner will cut them off from the outside world. They may keep the victim from seeing family or friends, or even prevent them from going to work or school. The victim may have to ask permission to do anything, go anywhere, or see anyone.

Threats – Abusers commonly use threats to keep their partners from leaving or to scare them into dropping charges. Abuser may threaten to hurt or kill the victim, their children, other family members, or even pets. They may also threaten to commit suicide and file false charges against the victim.

Intimidation – Abuser may use a variety of intimidation tactics designed to scare the victim into submission. Such tactics include making threatening looks or gestures, smashing things in front of the victim, destroying property and putting weapons on display. The clear message is that if the victim don’t obey, there will be violent consequences.

Denial and blame – Abusers are very good at making excuses for the inexcusable. They will blame their abusive and violent behavior on a bad childhood, a bad day, or even on the victim and the kids, the victims of their abuse. Abusive partner may minimize the abuse or deny that it occurred. They will commonly shift the responsibility on to the victim: Somehow, their violent and abusive behavior is the victim’s fault.

If you suspect that someone you know is being abused, speak up! Talk to the person in private and let them know that you’re concerned. Point out the things you’ve noticed that make you worried. Tell the person that you’re there, whenever they feel ready to talk. Reassure the person that you’ll keep whatever is said between the two of you, and let them know that you’ll help in any way you can.

Remember, abusers are very good at controlling and manipulating their victims. People who have been emotionally abused or battered are depressed, drained, scared, ashamed, and confused. They need help to get out, yet they’ve often been isolated from their family and friends. By picking up on the warning signs and offering support, you can help them escape an abusive situation and begin healing.


Can I Enforce  Child Support or Spousal Support Order?

Can I Enforce Child Support or Spousal Support Order?

You spend the time and money and finally get a Child Support/ Spousal Support Order or enter into a Separation Agreement only to discover that the other party is refusing to comply. This is frustrating but fear not, the consequences of not following a court order can be serious. If you have a Separation Agreement you should file it at the Ontario or Superior Court of Justice to enforce it’s terms.

In Ontario, parents owed child support have the option of using the Family Responsibility Office (FRO). FRO is a branch of the Ministry of Community and Social Services of Ontario. Section 5 of the Family Responsibility and Support Arrears Enforcement Act, 1996, S.O. 1996, c. 31 gives the FRO the authority “to enforce support orders where the support order and the related support deduction order, if any, are filed in the office and to pay the amounts collected to the person to whom they are owed.”

In other words, FRO has the ability to facilitate child support payments between parties and to take action in the event that payments are not being made. When a court makes an order for child support, it is automatically registered with FRO. Alternatively, if you signed an agreement with the other parent addressing child support, the agreement can be filed with the court and then registered with FRO. You are not required to register your agreement with the Court or use FRO to enforce child support. Parties are welcome to opt out of FRO or choose not to use FRO and take their own steps to enforce child support.

FRO has different ways to collect unpaid support from the payor parent by:

  • deduct the payments automatically from their wages or other income, including Income Tax Refunds, Employment Insurance, Workers’ Compensation, and Pensions;
  • register a charge, or a lien, against their personal property or real estate;
  • garnishing their bank account, or garnish up to half of a joint bank account that they have with someone else;

FRO can also put pressure on parents who do not pay by:

  • suspending their driver’s licence;
  • report them to credit bureaus;
  • cancel their passports

If you chose not to use FRO then you can enforce child support by requesting a Default Hearing, Register the support order as a charge on the paying parent’s property; or file a writ against the paying parent’s property.

Contact our office today to find out how we can assist you in enforcing your Court Order.